OFFICE OF THE DEAN FOR GRADUATE STUDIES AND RESEARCH
The Office of the Dean of Graduate
Studies and Research has theresponsibility of promoting and
coordinating graduate studies and research for the Río
Piedras Campus. In addition it is responsible for promoting
the integral development of graduate students through initiatives
directed to enrich the academic, intellectual, and cultural experiences
during the student’s
years at the graduate program. To collaborate and efficiently realize
this work, the Dean acts as a link between the graduate programs
and the Office of the Chancellor, and also works in close alliance
with the Office of the Dean of Academic Affairs. In collaboration
with the Advisory Council of Graduate Studies and Research (CEGI
for its Spanish acronym), the Dean prepares and implements the
Assessment Plans for the Graduate Programs and Research Centers
on the Campus.
The Office of Graduate Studies and Research is responsible for:
- Ensure that the graduate programs and research centers comply with the rules established by university governing boards.
- Coordinate the periodical evaluation of graduate programs and research centers.
- Support and following up on the Development Plans of graduate programs and research centers.
- Collaborate with the colleges and schools in identifying and developing existing resources.
- Design and outline a consistent effective plan of action for acquiring external funding.
- Facilitate the establishment of joint programs and projects
with other universities, institutions, cultural and scientific
entities to foster the exchange of ideas between
the different sectors of society, both at a local and international
- Coordinate with the Office of the Dean of Students services
that graduate student needs, including, scholarships, other financial
aid and support services.
Advisory Council of Graduates
Studies and Research
The Council of Graduates Studies
and Research (CEGI, by it’s
Spanish acronym) acts as an advisor to the Dean of Graduate Studies
and Research. This board deliberates on, and offer solutions to,
issues that affect the development of graduate programs, research
progress, creative work, student and faculty services of graduate
programs. The CEGI suggests institutional policy that is
inherent to graduate students.
Members of the Council
Dean of Graduate Studies and Research, president ex officio.
Dean of Academic Affairs, member ex officio.
One elected faculty member and one alternate for each of the colleges and school with graduate programs or research centers.
Director of the Library System or a representative.
A Senator selected by the Academic Senate from among the members of the Academic Affairs Committee and an alternate elected representative
Three students taking graduate courses and three alternates from
different graduate programs.